You have reached an information page.
product prices visit our store at
Phone Business hours - Mon-Fri. 9-5 EST ONLY - Contact via
Zoysias.com - An Informational Website From Seedland.com
How To Seed Zoysia In Lawns & Golf Courses
Instructions on how to successfully establish a golf course
or lawn from seeds. While this information is about
the planting of Zenith Zoysia, the basic information will apply to
both Zenith and Compadre seeding.
Also read how to
convert a cool season lawn to a zoysia grass lawn.
HOW TO CORRECTLY PLANT ZOYSIA SEEDS
- Lime to pH of 6.0-7.0 (Apply 1000 lbs of dolomitic lime if
no soil test is available.)
- Apply a starter Fertilizer at rate of 400 lbs. / acre
(10-10-10 is a good choice). (9 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft.)
- Incorporate, by tilling or similar method to a dept of 4-6
inches and remove any debris, sticks or stones.
- Drag Smooth
- Using a drop or broadcast spreader -- Uniformly spread
Zoysia seeds at 70 to 100 pounds of Zenith Zoysia seed per acre.
If using a mechanical slit seeder, plant at 2 inch centers for
best results. Seeding rates are higher for Compadre seed.
- Rake lightly and roll smooth to insure good seed soil
- DO NOT COVER (BURY) SEED more than 1/4 inch (6mm)
deep. Light is necessary for germination to occur and
covering the seed too deep will result in problems. Try
for a 1/8 to 1/4 inch coverage.
- Irrigate to keep soil moist (two to three times daily /
minimum) for the first 14 to 21 days OR until seedlings are
- After seedlings have emerged, irrigate to keep good moisture
in the soil to a depth of one inch (NO standing water).
- DO NOT OVER WATER! Too much water will retard
the growth of seeded zoysia grasses and encourage seedling diseases.
- Once seedlings have emerged, apply a starter fertilizer such
as 5-10-15 or simarlar analysis at the rate of 400 pounds per
acre. (9 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft)
- Next apply 100 pounds of Ammonium Nitrate per acre every 2
to 3 weeks until turf has covered. (Approximately 2 lbs.
per 1000 sq. ft).
- Avoid application of fertilizers high in nitrogen in the
- For established turf (year 2 and beyond), apply the
equivalent of 1 pound of nitrogen every 2 to 4 growing months as
a slow release or organic balanced fertilizer. Use a
fertilizer based on soil test results.
- Pre-emergent chemicals can be applied after seedling
emergence (at least 3 weeks after seedlings emerge) in
accordance with product label directions. Spring and Fall
applications of weed and feed products on established turf is
encouraged. Look for a product labeled for use on Zoysia
READ MORE ON PLANTING ZOYSIA SEEDS
NOTICE: Please note that we ONLY
recommend Zoysia seeds for use in bare soil areas.
Planting seeds into existing grasses has a HIGH
FAILURE rate. If planting into an existing lawn
(grass and/or weeds) we recommend that you consider
using Zoysia Zoysia Grass plugs
instead of seeds. - Zoysia seeds also are difficult to
achieve germination in low light / shady areas.
Use plugs in these areas for best results.
MOWING - Fairway Heights and Lawns
- If mowing with a reel mower begin mowing at 1 inch as soon
as grass or weeds can be cut (Same with rotary).
- Continue mowing at 1 inch if you wish to maintain at this
height. For tees / fairways you can gradually reduce to
12/ to 3/4 inch heights until grown-in. Always use a sharp
mower blade. Zoysia will require less mowing than Bermuda
(As many as 10 times less in a normal year).
a beautiful tomorrow!®